Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hey again there everybody. First of all, an apology that Ramona and I aren't more addicted to our computer. As previously mentioned we are at home and the last two days feel like a blurr. Mony was amazingly well at times, and from meeting her you never would have known that she had just been through chemo. Today went to camp to meet our friends and to close that chapter of our lives. It is incredibly encouraging to see how many kids our coming to Christ. Give Evan a hug if you meet him. But, on the way home from camp Mony's temperature seemed to be going up and her body was chilled and so we stopped at the hospital in Hodgson. We just got home from the hospital with the antibiotics and our watching her temperature intensely. Our doctor gave us pretty crazy warnings about what can happen if you ignore a fever. The slight fever is the immediate prayer request as I sit here and write. As far as the Mayo plans go- I would have had to make a post every 4 or 5 minutes to keep everyone up to date with how often our plans were being adjusted. At this point we our taking Ramona's parents' van to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota on Saturday August 5th. We hope to get to Rochester on time to be well rested for the appointment.After haggling through many options (including fly and RV's)that seems to be the wisest. There is no change in any plan that could suprise me though. We have an appointment Monday, August 7th at 8 a.m., it is a 2 hour consultation. Unfortunately that's about as much as I know. Mayo is the epitome of ethical and they will not randomly do any diagnosis over the phone. Out there they may say, there is nothing we can do for you head back to Winnipeg or they may do every test in that exists and Mony may have some experimental form of treatment that puts her in intensive care for a year. We just really have no idea. And here is the most exciting option of them all, maybe we need to go to Mayo to do tests to prove that God has made the tumors benign. Along with the Mayo Clinic will come the question of finances. And here is the deal. Dan Reimer(the treasurer of our church) has agreed to help set up and manage a Trust account. This account should be set up by tomorrow morning. Between both my fathers and Dan Reimer the organizational part of finances will be taken care of. I am so incredibly thankful that they are willing to handle these things. I will try to have a link set up to this blog that will deal strictly with financial needs. At this point we have money available to get through the doors of the Mayo clinic (it requires a $3000 U.S. deposit to even see a doctor). From there we really hope we will have a picture of what our needs our. We have been incredibly overwhelmed by all the financial support and fundraisers that have happened. Even as I'm looking at this sentence I'm writing, I'm blown away by the inadequecy of it. When we see how much people are sacrificing......we just realize there is something greater happening. I think I need to comment on this later, there doesn't seem to be any words that suffice. God is working through so many people it bloggles my mind. I seems so weird to know how to spend the next two days. Mandy just finished Ramona's dressing as I am writing here which reminds me of the verses she showed us this morning. Check out Psalms 127. It really keeps things in perspective. We can have any doctor in the world we can eat any herb or any drug, unless God heals Mony, there will be no healing.
Later,
Earl

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog has just been absolutely amazing. Your prayer was that God be glorified thru your illness well there is no doubt in my mind that that is what is happening. Yes we continue to sit at the throne on your behalf and pray that your journey to Mayo will go well. Especially that Ramona will not get sick enroute. Cancer seems so unpredictable. God has done great things till now in this journey you are in and He will continue I am sure. Keep resting in that promise. He will be the great Physician with you in the van and at Mayo.We are with you in thought and prayer.....Wilma Sheila's mom.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramona & Earl,
Ramona, it was great to be able to have a good chat with you on Tuesday. Like I told you, I could visit with you forever 'cause there are so many things to talk about. You both have encouraged me immensely by your faith and peace in our Saviour. Like I shared with you Ramona, if God cares about all my little wedding details and answers prayers regarding florists and photographers then, I am convinced He cares that much more about the big things, like your intense health concerns. It was so neat to hear little stories of how He proves He is with you. I'm glad you were feeling up to visiting camp, but so sorry to hear about your fever. Earl, I loved the comment you made in the blog about "no matter what treatment or pill or herb Ramona takes, God is still the One who will ultimately heal." I will keep praying for you as you arrange your travel to Mayo and seek God in this extremely challenging time. My prayer for you Ramona, is that you will continue to experience that peace from God you talked about the other day and that you will have a sense of patience as you wait for His will regarding your healing. I love you! If I think of the many moments we've shared together growing up, in Haiti, and even in the last few weeks I feel so honored to have a friend/cousin like you. You always encourage me to strive for a deeper closer relationship with God. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Earl and Ramona,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop regarding Ramona's health and plans made to go to Rochester. We will continue to pray that your drive is an easy one with no complications and that the doctors will have definitive answers for you one way or another when you get there.

God is beeing glorified through your situation and many are being saved or rededicating their lives because of your story. It's amazing what can happen when people trust in the Lord!

Please let us know where your trust account is being set up. Whatever we can do to make sure Ramona gets the help she needs, we want to do.

Praying with you at this time and in the days ahead...

Anonymous said...

You guys are so special to us. We treasure the times we spent with you last fall talking about marriage,life and God. You are such an inspiration and encouragement.

I asked Jermaine what he wanted to say to you and so he stood beside me and told me what to type.

I pray for you when I go to bed. Earl I like it when you do that hair rub thing to me (I call it a hair wedgie). Ramona I think it's special that you love brown people like me.

From Jermaine

Anonymous said...

hey you two
i love that you guys are keeping us all in the loop about everything. i haven't read this blog for awhile because i've been so busy but i can see that sooo much has happened. even though there is alot of bad i can see soo much good as well. and i write that as my eyes get teary. this whole situation causes me to think of my aunt who passed away three years ago.i wish that i knew this much about her cancer and i wish that i went to see her more often and i wish that i checked on this sooner so i could come and visit you guys. but that is my fault . you'll just have to know that from this note that i'm praying for you guys. maybe somehow you'll feel my mbrace. like coming form an angel.i'm with you in spirit. i'm so glad i've gotten to know you both @ camp your both so amazing and i can see how much God is apart of both of you. it muct be so hard for both of you but yes like you said earl God is carrying you through.

Anonymous said...

Ramona,
I was reading this morning, and as I was doing so I was thinking about both you and Earl and I felt like I should share this with you, because I found it so encouraging...
Isaiah 40:28-31
Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, and the creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not grow faint.

(and then jump to Isaiah 49:23b)
... those who hope in me will not be disappointed.

My prayers and my hope are with the both of you.
Much love, Raelynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to say "thanks" for being so dedicated at writing in your blog. With so much on your plate to deal with, it's amazing you find the time so I just wanted to thank you for your efforts! Jobina and I are praying for you constantly and wishing you the best as you travel down south. Hope you get a chance to make it back up to camp before you go, but if you don't be reassured that you are very much on everyone's hearts and minds. May God heal, encourage, and bless you both!

Anonymous said...

I just read about those verses that you mentioned and found it a good reminder that God is in control no matter what happens. I would just like to let you know how much this blog has inspired me to get closer to God and talk to him more because I have no idea what will happen in my life! Thank you so much and I will be praying for you.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

Anonymous said...

This note is for all of you who have been following the blog and are aware of the project to raise money for a wig for Ramona and offer support in that way. Her uncle Ray Petkau is now taking charge of the project as I will be busy with a baby and for those of you in Morweena...Joanna is the contact person. I think one of them will probably post something shortly about details.
Ramona and Earl, Love you and still praying,
With hope,

. said...

e&r- knowing you and walking down this path with you... it's making me a better person, a closer follower of Christ, a stronger believer, a more fervant pray-er, a more attentive listener, a more passionate talker...

I had a dream, while I was in Africa, about God stirring up the church, about fire and passion and pure abandonement... i see your cancer and your story and your love making sparks. i see the fire starting...

i love each of you and how God is getting ahold of me in a new, and deeper, way through convo.s w/ you.

ramona, our 'sleepover' yesterday was such a special time. i definitly plan to treasure that forever. i think that we may have had the most meaningful convo. i remember having. ever! i love you w/ an ocean of love...

thank-you for allowing your pain, your battle, to be shared. thank-you for allowing God to use it to touch lives... keep on posting updates. i check the blog VERY often...

Anonymous said...

Earl and Ramona

im so glad to hear from you guys
sorry i didnt find out about the
whole blog until now.
im glad your still doing well, for the most part. know that i am praying for you and that your in gods hands.
i really wish i could see you guys agian. i really cherished the time we had at camp this year
and all that you guys did for me.
please take care.
with so much love.
amber.
1-204-642-8014

Anonymous said...

Hello to all you athletes or wannabe athletes.
We are looking for volleyball players for the fundraising volleyball tournament that we are putting on to raise funds for Ramona's medical expenses. It will be taking place on Saturday, August 12 at 3 p.m. at the Morweena school. We're looking for 4-player teams that include those of both genders. A $60 entry fee per team is required. Individuals are welcome to show up too and we'll see if we can find you a team. We'll also be selling food, so spectators and big-eaters are more than welcome! All money raised will go to Earl & Ramona. Contact Ray at 372-6099 or Jason at 364-3008 if you want to enter a team or have other questions.
Earl & Ramona, we're still praying for you knowing that God is an amazingly powerful man who still knows what He's doing.
Take care!
The "other" Reimer's