Monday, August 07, 2006

If you're looking for big medical news today is the day to read the blog. Well....sort of. At 6:40 this morning we arrived at the Mayo Clinic. Honestly, it felt like we were walking into an airport. Mayo is quite a bit different than St. Boniface. Anyway, Ramona had a few X-rays and blood tests first thing in the morning and that would be all for actual testing. The rest of the day was spent talking to different doctors and looking at the information from Winnipeg with those doctors. And this is where we put in a plug for Winnipeg. Mayo can't really do much more for Ramona than Winnipeg. First step is to see how the Sarcoma responds to standard chemo (what we're doing). Statistically there is a 24% chance that the tumors will shrink. Winnipeg could not differentiate what type of Sarcoma Ramona has, but now Mayo will try (the little pieces of Mony's body should be shipped down here shortly). Unfortunately, the information specifying the Sarcoma will only do a little bit of good. The type of treatment does not change. From what we know, it only changes the likelyhood of the chemo being effective on whatever type of cancer it is. Here is the interesting challenge. Ideally, Ramona will still have an operation after chemo and then they will remove the shrunken tumors and all will be well. They are still making it sound like a long shot. Ramona will only be a good candidate for surgery if she has an incredible desire to get well (and of course, the tumors have shrunk). I'm so thankful she is such a determined person. On another note, she is starting to lose her hair. This is obviously rough. She is an amazingly beautiful woman.......I wish I could kiss away the pain of losing hair, but it's probably not that simple (I'll try though). I guess it's time to start dealing with wigs.
While sitting in the Mayo Clinic I kind of needed to think about how pathetic we as humans are compared to God. Mayo has these little pamphlets celebrating human achievement and whatever. Then we talk to some of the top doctors in the world about Sarcomas and chemo and stemcells and nutrients and all those things....and the amount they don't know compared to the things they know is unbelievable. We're not even close to understanding the human body.
Anyway, we are done at Mayo for now. We will start to head home tomorrow sometime. We will keep in touch with them about how the treatments are going at home and send all the CT Scans here to Mayo. We will definitely consult these people here if we change treatment plans or need their opinions or want to try experimental treatments.
Check I Corinthians 13 about how many times the definition of love involves having hope and never giving up. It is pretty encouraging.
Prayer requests
Still, that God would be glorified by what we do and with what He does with the cancer.
That the tumors will shrink
The hair loss and next round of chemo will be incredibly hard for Ramona

Thanx for joining us in prayer,
Earl

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update guys. I'm on this Blog multiple times throughout the day, and I really appreciate how you keep us all in the loop.

Have a safe journey home. I'll keep on prayin' for ya.

And on a side note, whoever was organizing the head shaving thing, if you're reading, shoot me an e-mail at hatman@mts.net I just realized I forgot to volunteer myself for that.

Jay Boaz (apparently there's been some confusion over which Jay is which on here :))

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl & Ramona,
Just wanted to add my thanks for letting us in on your lives through this blog. I pray for you often. Even though your medical news is not very encouraging, the story you shared about Al Friesen was a tremendous example of God's care in your life, and I have confidence that He is continuing to work!
This is a verse I pray for you a lot: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13)

Take care,
Janet

Anonymous said...

hey earl & ramona
thanks for the updates. i definately get them faster and in more detail on the blog than i do from Kev. i miss seeing you guys everyday like i did at camp. and Ramona, i miss all the little sisterish chats. we'll have to have more of them. the faith that the two of you have has been an encouragement to me many times since the very first day i started getting to know you. i never dreamed that Kev's whole family could possibly be so amazing! anyways, i love you both lots, and can't wait to see you again soon. i and the rest of my family are praying for your miracle.
your sis' in Christ
Karlene

Anonymous said...

Hey! guys
Thanks again for the updates. It's so powerful to hear how God is working in and through you.
As I was reading the story of Lazurus this morning in John 11, they were some verses that stood out to me, v.33-v.37 "when Jesus saw her (Mary) weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?", he asked. "come and see, Lord," they replied. Jesus wept.
Then the Jews said, "see how he loved him!
But some of them said, "could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man, have kept this man from dying?"
My prayer is that you will sense God's awesome love and presence as he weeps with you, as among other things you grieve Ramona's losing her hair.
On a personal note, I asked myself the question, "which group of people do I fit into?", the ones who saw Jesus's heart of compassion, or the ones who had a hard time understanding why God didn't keep this from happening.
v.40 "then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"
"God, help us all to believe! May your Name be magnigified and glorified in every heart and life that is affected in some way through Earl and Ramona's experiences."

Our thots and prayers continue to go with you!

Vi

Anonymous said...

Hey thanx for the update.I just want to say that you guys are pretty tough going thru all this stuff.I'm praying for you.Get home safe.

Christine said...

I heard about your situation through Brandi's blog. You guys are in my prayers. I can't imagine having to deal with my spouse having cancer so early in the marriage. I can't imagine it now after four years. I will be continually reading your blog and praying for you daily.

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl&Ramona i'm praying my heart out for you guys and pray that God heals you. I would find it hard to lose my hair even though i complain about it:). love ya guys and God be with you as you come home. Jessica

. said...

much love, pretty much all of my heart