Saturday, August 12, 2006

Another Night in the Hospital

Yeah, so I have this wound in my left underarm from the incisional biopsy that I had done over a month ago. I guess it's been getting deeper, (approx. 3 inches) and looking pussier and overall not very good in the last few days. Since I'm starting chemo again on Tuesday, I'm obviously trying to get my body as healthy as possible until then. Somehow an infection doesn't seem like a good idea. So yesterday we called my doctor and were told to come in and get it looked at and get a swab taken.
So last night after hanging around at Earl's parents for the evening we headed off to St. B. We had to wait a few hours but things went well and we're home again and Earl is now getting my prescription filled. Hopefully this antibiotic will fight whatever kind of infection I have.
That I guess kind of sums up what is going on medically. Physically I feel really good. The thought of going in for chemo next week is something that I am really dreading. It's hard when I feel so good now only to go to the hospital and feel horrible there.
One of the biggest emotional battles I'm facing now is loosing my hair. I got it cut really short a few days ago to make the loss easier. It really helped but my head is starting to look really patchy so I think Earl will probably shave it off for me just before I go in on Tuesday. I thank God that He doesn't just carry us and help with 'big' battles but He totally and completely cares about the tiny things that we go through.
Today the community is having a volleyball tournament fundraiser for Earl & myself. Earl & I are hoping to head out there today and Earl is joining a team. How do you thank people for all that they're doing? How do I hang around with all these people that came out just to show that they care? How does a person accept that? These are some of the questions I ponder.

9 comments:

. said...

hey mona... it's nice to hear some of your thoughts. not so nice to hear about the infection...

i like what you said, something about God taking care of the little things, too... i'm so sorry about you losing your hair. that's a hard thing. when i was visiting you on thursday, i was honestly worried that it (you losing your hair and having it cut short) would be so hard or weird... it wasn't. it was just sad...

keep on clinging to our awesome God... i love you so very much...
always,
dayna

ps- i'm working on something for you. i was hoping it'd be ready for your time in the hospital, but it looks like i won't finish before my trip (which i'm hoping will be great)so you'll have to wait until i'm back... just thought i'd give you something to look forward to :)

Anonymous said...

wilma says,
I'm so glad God does not get tired of our questions or baffled by them. He indeed is bigger than all our problems.glad you're feeling as good as you are.

Anonymous said...

Dear Earl and Ramona..Just writing to let you know that we're praying for you.
-Nick & Rose Plett

Anonymous said...

I remember feeling healthy and trying hard not to let the fact that I would soon feel sick rob me of the joy of the moment - We will sure be praying for you (as so many did for me). It seemed like it would never end (but it did!) - and now I am so thankful for life.
We are glad we had a chance to meet and chat a little with you at camp. You are in our God thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Earl and Ramona,
You don't know us, but you have met our daughter. We have been down the road you are now travelling. I know it isn't easy. We, too,had people praying for us and helping us financially. I think this is where God teaches us to 'recieve' gracefully. It is quite a lesson. We are praying for you always.Just give it all to God.
~Barb and Martin Hayward

amy said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you guys,
Darren and Amy Kornelsen

Anonymous said...

I was just talking to my Aunt who is also battling cancer and she has an infection in her incision that won't go away as well. I guess that must be part of how cancer works. I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your hair, that's a hard thing to deal with on top of everything else. I think you have the right idea in shaving it off. Good for you, Ramona!

We continue to pray for you and thank you for the opportunity to share in your journey. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Ramona,
My mom and I had planned to come and see you and give to your fundraiser that was held on Saturday. We unfortunately could not leave at the time we planned and I am so very sorry we missed the opportunity visit with you. I hope you enjoyed the day. Hopefully, if you are feeling up to it, I will get the chance to see you sometime soon. You are a constant in my thoughts as I pray for you always. My family and I would still like to contribute. If anyone reading this could email me as to where we could send a monetary donation, I would appreciate it. My address is kkarish@irha.mb.ca Thanks a lot.
Kristie K.

Anonymous said...

I JUST WANT TO WISH YOU LUCK WITH YOUR NEXT ROUND OF CHEMO,I HOPE THAT INFECTION IS GONE BY THEN, YOUR IN MY TOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!