Sunday, September 30, 2007

You know, once again this is an exciting feeling. I'm sitting in our bedroom writing this blog and Mony is out in the kitchen making supper...that is awesome if you ask me. All things considered we have much to be thankful for from this week. As previously mentioned the room was a huge blessing. Also, the St. B. nurses fight for us. They were doing anything from bringing us junk food from the staff room, to talking the charge nurse out of having a student nurse with Ramona. It was also pretty sobering talking with Bonnie...and I need to interrupt this sentence to explain who Bonnie is in case I haven't in the previous posts.
Bonnie Johnson: Bonnie is the chemo nurse. Again, I forget her technical title, but she is in charge of the chemo on the wards. She is the one who occasionally gives the chemo and has taught pretty much every nurse on the ward how to give chemo. Also, she is the person I would phone if I had medical questions or concerns from home. Last time, when Ramona was in emergency Bonnie is the one who called us from her house at 11:30 p.m. to make sure everything was okay.
Anyway, about the talk with Bonnie. Ramona asked Bonnie about Dr. Wong's other patients. How many patients survived? The answer, I think, shocked both of us. (in this case, a survivor is someone who is "cancer-free" five years after their treatment) Bonnie told us that he has only one patient who is considered a survivor and he just recently noticed lung metasteses. That's pretty sobering. We're, of course, determined that Ramona will be survivor #2...we knew that odds weren't very good...but this is worse than we expected here.
I'm simply going to leave that thought there because there is really no good segway out of it. Ramona and I were talking about the purpose of our lives this afternoon.There is the traditional Christian answer of "to glorify God", but we're quite tired of cliches. For me, a large part of my purpose at this point is to take care of my wife...but for Ramona you would think it would be something like "getting better". Here's the problem, when your purpose is something that you have very little control of. That doesn't make for that great of a life. There is something defeating about having your purpose focused on yourself....
We think about these kinds of things, again, apart from the immediate health concerns, we think about purpose.
I guess I haven't mentioned yet that Ramona was released from the hospital on Saturday morning. Which was perfect, we got to attend Evan and Renita's wedding.
Ramona has a Telehealth(webcam) appointment with Dr. Waddell in Toronto on October 12 at 9 a.m. Central. Among other things, I hope we can talk about what surgical procedures need to happen after chemo. Also, at the beginning of next round (Oct. 15) they will do a CT Scan and a Mugga Scan. This determines whether the tumors are actually shrinking and whether Ramona's heart is handling this.
Thanks again,
Earl

13 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

(posted with the wrong account)

Earl, thanks for being so real and honest about what you're both experiencing right now and how that has caused you to reevaluate your purpose here. It is so encouraging to read about, especially when faced with odds of survival like that. Thank God that odds never really diminish how He works. Small armies, the meek, the outsiders, the sinners. The outside chance. God's used them all. Your humility and pursuit of God through all of your trials has been something I have shared with many people. You are an encouragement, and God is still good.

Remaining in prayer,
Erin

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you guys lots lately. Calvin ran the track at school for their Terri Fox and I was reminded of your previous post.

I think you are wise in your thoughts about your purposes. Of course everyone of us has the same purpose in terms of being created to know God, but it's lived out differently in everyone of us.

Father, thank you for the way you are showing yourself to Earl and Ramona. For the nurses fighting for them, for the support from their families and those little moments where Ramona has energy to make dinner and be Ramona the wife, not only Ramona the cancer fighter. Give them more of these moments, be their fulfillment. May they contemplate life but enjoy it as well. Father, may they find ways to serve you through this experience as well, in a way that meets their souls need. Father, heal Ramona from this disease, heal their family from the hurt this disease has caused...and provide, oh yes Father, provide what they need.
Amen

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I just wanted to encourage you to not go by statistics and percentages. God is SO much bigger than that! And remember, with every stage of cancer there is always someone out there who has survived it!
Lots of prayers, Tiphanie Wiebe

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll find this a little encouraging.

Sarah's dad is a cancer survivor. I forget exactly what he had (Lymphoma or Leukemia possibly), but the point is a doctor told him he was terminal (in fact, that doctor actually said to him upon seeing him at one point "So how long did they give you?", what a jerk!). Fortunately another doctor got him into chemo right away, and he never gave up.

That was nearly 10 years ago.

Jay

Brigitte said...

With you every day ;-) Have you seen lilou's picture I've sent to you ? love and blessing brigitte

Anonymous said...

Ramona and Earl,
What is our purpose on earth? I like your comment about focusing on others and not so much on ourselves. When I think of our 2-yr. old, what does he view as his purpose in life? Is it not to Live every moment to the full and thereby glorify God?
We so easily get caught about in the way society views life and its' purposes.. But ultimately we have the privilege to serve God in whatever capacity He calls us.
I love you, and am praying for your healing, continued strength and faith to carry on.
Gloria.

Anonymous said...

dearest earl & ramona,

it's been a while since i wrote a comment, but that's no indication that i haven't been keeping up with your blogs and thinking good thoughts of you both.

just a quick update, i returned to work full-time in june. and it's been quite the challenge trying to get back into the groove of things. nevertheless, the challenge was highly-anticipated and much welcomed.

i've still got to visit the hospital once in a few months for the routine check-ups, but things seem to be going okay. everyone on the 11th floor at mount sinai is thinking of you, too.

don't get too discouraged! i know it's hard not to feel helpless, but you've got each other and a lot of people supporting you. i believe in miracles simply because i feel as if i have been blessed with one. i'm seeing life in a different perspective now. life is meant to be lived in meaningful ways. though the journey has been rough, there is always light up ahead.

every good wishes,
kitty

Anonymous said...

o dear Ramona your purpose here on earth is to minister to others. You have a big heart to be a missionary. What a great blessing it is that you get to be a missionary in your home country close to your friends and family. Ramona I really think for now this is the mission field your heart longs to be at. Your life has spoken to so many around the world and you've not left home! You are so blessed I hope and pray this encourages you both.
Lots of prayers. I love you guys

Dianna said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Hope you're making special memories with loved ones.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, how did that webcam appt go and the other scans today? We've been praying for you and you're never far from our hearts and thoughts thru out the day. I hope you enjoyed the past weekend with everyone and that no news has meant good news in how Moni has been feeling and stuff. Lately I've been praying for your marriage and bonding that it will stay incredibly strong and healthy thru out this marathon/roller coaster you are on and I know issues aren't always health related. So just want you guys to know we love you and are supporting you as you face each day.
"To live is Christ"
Love Christy

Anonymous said...

First of all, let me say I have been thinking of you and esp. praying for you a lot since finding your blog. I came across it in the "favourites" section on the computer in the lounge on 11South at Mt. Sinai. Words like 'cancer', 'sarcoma', and 'chemo' caught my eye as I 'leafed' through your blog as a total stranger. I hope you don't mind if I 'comment' on some of your thoughts, and share some of my own.
I think that if you switch the word 'goal' with 'purpose', your thoughts may make more sense to you.
If you re-think Earl's purpose of 'taking care of Ramona' as one of his goals instead, it fits in perfectly towards his ultimate 'purpose' of glorifying God.
If you re-think Ramona's purpose of 'getting better' as a goal instead, so she can continue to glorify God in her life on earth, it fits in perfectly (and unselfishly) with her purpose. I hope that made sense, I am not used to putting my thoughts down.
I also know you are tired of cliches, but usually they are cliches because there's truth in them. Earl, here's a thought that may sound like another cliche to you, but is meant to bring comfort. Please remember Ramona is in the hands of her Heavenly Father, whose love and care for her greatly surpass your own.
Some people wonder how I can keep smiling when my 15-year old son is fighting for his life against a high-grade sarcoma, but that is the thought that returns to me again and again, and with that knowledge, what more could I ask for?
I wish I had more answers, more non-cliches, for you, but I don't. I pray for comfort and strength for both of you, and especially peace and healing.
Ilse

Anonymous said...

wow Ilse... what an encouraging comment (to me anyway). i will try to remember to pray for you and your son from time to time as i pray for earl and ramona. may God bless you and hold you and comfort you...