Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Ramona and I are sitting around enjoying an evening at home. Like Joanna mentioned in one of her comments. No news is probably good news. Our version of a normal day does not include much internet time. Anyway, I've confessed that many times before.
We had a bit of a scary incident last night. Ramona and I were laying in bed and I was reading a book. It was windy and raining out side and things were blowing around. We heard the sound of what seemed like people coming to our house and making noise on our deck. We had our lights all off. And so it all felt a little weird to me. I went to the door to see what was going on. About 12 feet in front of me, a bear ran in front of my deck and into the bush. I shone my flashlight at the bush. I had no gun. End of story.
I'm incredibly thankful that I can be writing about bears. Ramona has handled chemo incredibly well. In fact, if we hadn't spent last week in Winnipeg, we might not even know that Ramona had had chemo. Not quite, she is weaker and more tired....and yes, her hair will probably begin to fall out this next week.
Speaking of which, we are hoping to be part of the Terry Fox Run in Arborg this weekend. It sounds like a good event with the 10km run and head shaving. I guess I could push Ramona on the wheelchair with my rollerblades or something. Depending how everything works, I guess Ramona might shave her head there too, since that will happen shortly anyway.
Completely changing the topic, one of my friends had a good reminder for me about something to be thankful for. We were talking about how Ramona is in a life and death battle with cancer. There was something incredibly basic, yet noteworthy that he mentioned. Ramona is a Christian, and therefore the life and death battle is only on earth. After earth we will be in heaven. Imagine how frightening it would be if the battle was between life and eternal 'death' in hell. People all around us are battling with cancer and for many of them the battle ends in an eternity in hell. Ramona and I both often feel pretty hopeless and this was a much needed reminder that we do have hope.
Thanks for caring,
Earl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was blessed by your pal's comment about life & death struggle in the present only. As a sidebar (I'm going on a limb here for all the bloggers who read this) I want to impress on fellow Christians that if they "feel" a message from the Spirit then SAY IT. Things may have changed in the EMC since we were members yrs ago but it was not popular to hear lay-people speak these msgs from the pews.Let's take (& give) these opportunities. Your buddy blessed us all by his words that likely seemed very "obvious" to him. What if he, like we often do, had decided not to share his insights? there's my semon in a second----------------Claim hope Earl and Ramona, God is still on the Throne! connie

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update. I'm gonna admit, that when Ramona went in for chemo last week, my prayer was that God would delay the nausea and sickness, just one day... I knew he could do it! let's just say it's humbling to realize how small my faith was...and how much GREATER God is! That's pretty awesome! love you guys!
Melissa