Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I guess it's high time to update this blog...and as usual no one likes to hear about good intentions. Anyway, Ramona is now beginning day 2 of chemo. When I left the room 10 minutes ago we were joking around with the nurses and Ramona was feeling fine. The drug dexoroxane (the heart protectant that was supposed to be super nauseating) has had no negative side effects so far. This is really awesome. Dr. Wong told Ramona this morning that if it causes nausea the effects are supposed to appear almost immediately after they inject the drug.
I sometimes get asked what people can do to help us/Ramona. This is a really tough question to answer.....we're just like everyone else in the world who absolutely love it when people show that they truly care. And most people have different ways of showing they care, so it's not a question that can be answered simply like. "we need food" or "if Ramona was given......something...then she would be happy"
One thing we wonder about is how much to dabble with alternative medicine. The complexities of the question are not something I want to discuss on the blog right now. I often almost go crazy trying to figure out what is wise and what is not wise. I think and stress out about this as if I actually have something to do with how Ramona will get better. If you could pray for peace as we battle through those decisions would be much appreciated too. God can as easily heal Ramona with a glass of water as with a bag of doxorubicin or anything else. I often forget that.
Anyway, I'll go bring the computer to Ramona so she can read previous comments (no Internet access in the room unfortunately)
Earl

9 comments:

. said...

hey earl! thanks for updating and for sharing about how we can pray! i thought i'd quickly check to see if you'd updated before heading to bed and i'm glad i did... i am so glad to hear that mony doesn't have those nasty side-effects thus far...

thinking of you both and praying from this faraway land,
dayna

Anonymous said...

glad to hear that the new drug hasn't been bad! thats great! i will pray that continues. and i will definitly pray for guidance with the whole alternative medicine thing. i completely understand, i too struggled with how much alternative medicine to incorporate. it is very easy to think that we need to do the right thing or take the right drug to be healed. just remember that god is in control of the situation no matter what the treatment plan is. having said that, i am still a huge believer in alternative medicine. i know dr. wong discourages it, but from my personal experience, i would really encourage it. but whatever you choose will be the right choice for you, you have to have confidence in that. lots of prayers, tiphanie wiebe

Anonymous said...

"Lord, please cover Earl and Ramona with your peace as they try to be wise in deciding whether/what kinds of alternative medications to pursue. Please direct them specifically in this area. Thank-you that Ramona has been feeling amazingly well inspite of some of the medications she's getting. Thank-you Lord, for your provision and for your faithfulness, always.
Amen."

God bless!

Vi

Anonymous said...

hi ramona & earl,
we are praying that God will give you guys wisdom in your decisions about alternative medicine. there's so many different opinions out there, so just allow God to direct all your steps. He will give you peace about what to do.

~jen & kelvin

Erin said...

Hey Earl and Ramona,

Your words on how to help struck a chord with me. I think I've said before, that given a hard situation, my automatic physical response is either 'feed it', 'hug it', or 'bandage it'... and none of those are particularly helpful or groundbreaking in your situation. Just a strong reminder of how much faith we show when we simply cry out to God. Neither of you have been far from my thoughts lately, and I definitely had a sudden strong urge to pray on Sunday. I'll be praying for strength and wisdom, as God's never failed to provide either when I've needed it, I'm sure He'd happily give the same to you.

Earl, I empathize with your strain, taking it upon yourself to figure out the medicinal side of things. As someone pointed out to me this summer, one of the most (if not THE most) important words in the bible is 'Let'... LET there be light, LET God be true, and every man a liar... I can't even fully comprehend it myself, but there is this amazing submissive quality, and every time I think of 'letting' God, I can feel my grip on my life loosen and the strain of holding onto it goes away. Alternative medicine may be a good path, but 'let' God have the first (and only) word. This is no easy thing. My heart and prayers are definitely with you in the upcoming weeks.

With much love and faith,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl. Thanks for updating. I'm definitely still thinking about and praying for you guys from here. I wish I could be there with you, but I guess my prayers get to heaven just as fast from here.

Ramona, I'm so glad to hear you're not getting the negative side effects from the meds. I'll pray that that continues.

Much love,
Joanna

Anonymous said...

As I was reading in Psalms the other day, I came across Psalm 13, and I was encouraged. Here it is:
O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever? How long will you look the other way? How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? Turn and answer me, O Lord my God! Restore the light to my eyes, or I will die. Don't let my enemies gloat, saying, "We have defeated him!" Don't let them rejoice at my downfall. BUT I trust in Your unfailing love. I will rejoice because You have rescued me. I will sing to the Lord because He has been so good to me.

I'm sure you feel the "forever" in your stuggle with cancer, as David felt with his struggle. I just pray that you may "sing" in the rain, recognizing the Lord's goodness in the darkness.

Love and prayers,
Gloria.

Anonymous said...

hey Ramona i did not come up to say bay all the best god bless annie

Anonymous said...

may you know happiness and the causes of happiness
may you be free from pain and sorrow and the causes of pain and sorrow