Friday, April 27, 2007


In case ya'll want to inspect the work of the surgeon, this is what part of Ramona's wound looks like. The two hoses coming out of the wound drain the fluid out. The draining pump was removed from the auxilla wound, but it is still in the hip wound. Our doctor said that the hip wound was still draining about 100 cc (per day i assume??) The time it takes for the wound to stop draining is a determining factor in when we get to go home. Also, I did a recount of the staples from the hip surgery- there are actually 61 staples. Sorry about the misinformation.



This is Mony walking today! The picture doesn't show it, but she has a walker in front of her. The open door in front of her is her room. She walked the entire distance from her room to this point and back. Mony is incredibly exhausted this afternoon, her body is finally relaxing. This night she had such a deep sleep that she didn't remember where she was when she woke up. This is a first.
Her legs are starting to work, which is tough but encouraging. The left arm feels like a big deal right now, Ramona wanted to make sure I mentioned it in the blog. The frustration of the partial paralysis of her left arm would definitely be something good to pray about. There is no end in sight there. It's hard for Mony to think about gardening or anything like that, when her arm isn't working.

Regarding the timing of getting out of this hospital: We expect to be out of here in the middle of next week. On Monday, we will hopefully talk to the Thoracic Surgeon to determine when he can do the surgery. Also on monday, they will probably check whether or not Mony can use crutches. If she can (which they expect), then they will teach her how to take stairs. The hip wound needs to quit draining before Mony is released, that is something that we really have no control of.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Bless you for another quick update, Earl. I can't imagine what it must be like for you to have to break down all the news and information you get into a blog entry. Thank you for sharing!

That is a mighty wound you've got there, Ramona, but I'm so thankful that your auxilla wound is healing up! And it's so, so good to hear that you got a solid night's rest - thank you God! Be patient about your arm, and faithful. Maybe my mind is strange, but I as I was praying for your arm, it occurred to me: So often we're called upon to be God's hands and feet in the world, but sometimes we need God to be ours! Not totally sure what to make of that thought, but remember that His strength is in you and around you - in your husband, your family.. even places you don't expect.

Praise God for that distance you walked today! That's way bigger than 9 feet! Lovely blue gown, I must say as well.. ;)

Rest up, both of you, and have a good weekend - looking forward to hearing the news on Monday. We'll be lifting you up in prayer tonight!

Blessings,
Erin

Anonymous said...

Oh Ramona...and Earl, that wound shot is encouraging me to pray!! Good idea. wow Ramona, you are such a STRONG woman going through all this. I don't know what to say. I will pray for more rest. I'm thinking your wounds will heal just as fast while your sleeping than not, and time passes so much faster that way. For you anyway. And, I'm also going to pray for your arm to hurry up and get back to normal. I love you girl. Hoping you'll begin to see more of that light at the end of the tunnel. Take care, Melissa (Mrs!)

Anonymous said...

Ramona, I am so glad to have had the chance to meet you yesterday. I think you've got a beautiful heart and an amazing spirit. And I know you're a very strong-willed person. Recovery will take time, and you'll be amazed at how your body can heal itself. I'm so proud of your progress thus far. The first few days out of bed will be hard, but it will only get easier. Just remember to have patience and keep the positive attitude going.

I will definitely check your blog on a daily basis. My good thoughts and prayers are with you and your family always.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramona! I am so proud of you and am thakful to the Lord that all went reasonable well during the surgery. I pray your arm will regain its mobility and all will heal without any further complications.I remember when I broke my leg I had 12 staples. The good thing about that is the scarring isn't nearly as bad as stitches. I had to learn how to use the crutches too. I had to practice going up mini stairs. It is a bit awkward at first, but you'll soon get the hang of it. I remember the first time I had to go up the stairs at home, I lost my balance and had to drag my sorry butt up the stairs and into the house. Ray had to help me up.LOL! That must have been quite the sight. Well Ramona, I hope you will continue to get rest and I hope Earl will continue to keep us updated on the blog. Great job Earl! Hang in there both of you, and hope to see you soon! I also will pray the surgeon will be able to remove the spots on your lungs. You are one strong woman and we love you! Take care!
Love Auntie Lori And Uncle Ray and boys.

. said...

i am amazed by you. both of you. you've been through so very very much, and yet you smile... not all the time. i know that. but you do and that says so much about who you are- and even more profoundly of WHOSE you are!

praying about your arm, mony. i've had trouble with mine over the years and have often been frustrated, but this is extreme! i'm also hoping your rehab goes well!

speaking of which, here's a lil inspirational song i 'wrote' for you! it's taken from the veggie tales 'keep walking' song that somehow developed a suprising cinderella twist.. i think that all started w/ the "gown" and w/ the fact that "ball" happened to rhyme. hope it'll inspire you during your long afternoons of rehab (particularily when walking down the hall! wink)

Keep walking, with your walker down the hall
Keep walking. No, you aren't gonna fall.
It's plain to see, your gown is from the mall
So keep walking, you'll need practice for the ball

tune in next time to hear dayna sing:

Keep running, in your gown that's from the mall
Keep running, with your prince right down the hall
It's plain to see, a pumpkin's far too small
So keep running, just don't bump into the wall