Thursday, April 26, 2007

At around lunch time Kitty dropped by. She is a young woman from Markham who has a similar story to Ramona. It was nice to talk face-to-face with another person who had a synovial sarcoma. In an eight hour surgery, Kitty had her tumor removed last December I believe (Kitty you can correct me if I get this wrong). It is encouraging to see her smiling and walking around. AND....my wife is walking!!!! Just an hour ago, with the help of her walker and the physio people she walked 9 feet to the washroom and back to her bed. Walking is painful, and one muscle in her left arm is still not responsive. But...she's walking! All this excitement on the blog can be a bit deceiving, we're all pretty tired I guess. I think we all wish the 'happily ever after' was in focus a little clearer..........I'll maybe expand on those kinds of thoughts some other time...anyway...speaking of tired, I was angry at the time, but it's kind of funny now...in the hallway before I heard the security asking the nurses at the front desk to identify the lady sleeping in the lounge...I was mad that they were going to wake her up...but I found out later that after they had about 6 people within a few feet of her trying to figure out who she was, they finally found a staff member who knew who this lady was. I guess Ramona's mom was pretty tired, she didn't wake up. Also this morning, we wondered why the angels spent so much time in the parking lot instead of up on floor 11. For the second time in two days, right after we park, someone comes up to us with a paid parking pass (that they don't need) that is good for as long as we need to park....also, Ramona has an amazing nurse this morning, I asked that a certain nurses not be Ramona's nurse anymore. It's hard for me to accept that I didn't do something about that sooner......Ramona is getting her dressings done right now....I did a preliminary count of the staples....there are about 60 staples on her hip and 17 in her armpit....for now...earl
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Dianna said...

Still praying for you! For where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name there will I be amongst them. That's all we can do right now for you!

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm so glad you got to have a visit with a survivor Ramona... as encouraging as the blog must be, there's nothing like talking to someone face to face! And congrats on those 9 steps... I'll be praying that you take many thousands more, with both arms working fine! Glad to hear that your nurse situation is improving - don't be too hard on yourself Earl. Thank you for another update so soon, I'll be praying to God for that arm and for more amazing nurse care... and maybe a roadmap for those angels.. ;)

Joking aside, I hope you and everyone else down there have a great, restful weekend - Ramona, it looks like you slept some. I hope that's true!

God bless,
Erin

Pamela said...

Ramona, you are a real trooper. I'm so proud of you and Earl. I know you don't hear from me that much, but I want to let you know that I'm praying for you guys out here in Alberta. You are so strong in the Lord when you are weak. I am just recovering major knee surgery....I only had 15 staples. I'm in tears for you, loving you, praying for you and smiling with you! I was on crutches for two weeks and now I'm being weaned off the cane. I'll tell ya one thing Ramona, I was fusurated when I could move my leg, especially up and down by itself. The day came when I could move my heel off the floor for the first time (two weeks after surgery) I cried with joy! I cried at the physio's clinic when they helped me to walk on the double bars. I pray that God will bring strength to your muscels and relief where there is pain. Irvin, my husband, has been a huge encouragment for me. Ramona, we are so bless by God to have such loving husband who stand...or sit beside us. :D I love you so much.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys, that is great to hear that the surgery went well. We are still praying for you. Hope you feel better soon and we love you guys lots!! Have a really good evening. -Jessica P.

. said...

seriously, earl, thanks so very much for your frequent updates! i (and i know many others) appreciate it so much! i know that blogging can keep one sane, as can reading someone elses!

mony, way to go on the 9 feet to the bathroom! you're pretty much a super hero for doing that so soon! i'm still praying for you... for your arm, your lungs, your nursing care, your rehab, your digestive everything, your pain, (well, actually lack thereof) your hope level, your recovery, your husband, your endurance, your soul... and whatever else comes to my heart!

much love,
dayna

ps- schlope schein heina bein (hahaha- ramona, i have no idea how to spell that, but i think you get the idea!)

. said...

ps #2- oops! i almost forgot to tell you what your response should be (an elderly pastor taught me this once at the thrift store)

ramona says to dayna: du uck ola cluck

hope you're smiling!

Anonymous said...

Ramona & Earl,

I just wrote you this amazingly and wonderfully deep comment but it just got lost somewhere in blogger-land, and so here I go again. Things never sound as good the second time...

What I wanted to say was Thank you. Thank you for being honest. It is refreshing to journey alongside people who encounter a God that is difficult to understand and who invites our very real questions. In a strange way, it is comforting to know that God is a Being that is beyond my comprehension.

I head out to Toronto in just a couple of weeks to prep for my trek to Tanzania. (Are you still in Toronto then?) Though, I wish that I would be making plans to meet you out in Africa, as Ramona & I talked about once so long ago. But know that the kingdom work that you are presently involved in (including loving each other, being authentic believers to those around you, etc.) is just as significant as anything you could be doing across the globe.

I appreciated the brief chat with you, Earl, the last time I was up in Morweena. If you want to be on my email update list (re: my trip to Tanzania), just send me your email address at egiesbrecht@sbcollege.ca. And in the meantime, you can let those AIM people know that I don't live in Saskatchewan!

Journey on. You are both beautiful people.

Elviene

Amber said...

Way to go on the 9 steps! Praying that God will continue to help you recover quickly and give you peace if things feel like they are slow going. These things will take time, but be encouraged that you have a BIG cheering section!!