Wednesday, June 20, 2007

For those of you who wonder why I don't blog as often as I did last surgery, my excuse is that we don't have proper internet access on the tenth floor. This is my bro Jay trying to get some sort of wireless connection from all the surrounding buildings. By the way it's nice for Ramona and I that my brother and mom are with us now. (My mom is currently sleeping in the lounge in the hospital. Like I said, the strict rules in Toronto General don't allow any 'visitor' to stay the night in a room that isn't private)















This is Mony openning a gift that her mom sent along with us (On the privacy of the blog, Mony was very thankful for the comfy pants and I forgot to tell you on the phone mom...oops) In the background you see her neighbor, she mostly sleeps, Ramona has had good people in the different rooms she's been in )














Part of the recovery process is this breathing incentive....thing...pretty much you have to inhale in this tube and it shows you how powerful you suck and it has this little blue thing that floats when you inhale...and....i give up...go to a hospital and ask to look at one of these breathing incentive devices...















This picture is merely to show you how good my wife looks with her new hat and glasses. The picture was taken the night before surgery














Now...trying to catch up on all the technical information and the thoughts and feelings attached to that. Ramona's pain is largely under control. When I got to the hospital at 11 this morning. Ramona began to have more pain. Coincidence I was told. With a few boosts of Morphine in her epidural and an ant-inflammatory plus two tylenol she began to feel better. Pain-wise the rest of the day was very bearable. She is beginning to be itchy from Morphine use.
Ever since Mony got to her room on the tenth floor yesterday there have been no airleaks in her lung or chest cavity (I'm forgetting all my technical terms in my sleep here). This is a good sign and they will likely take the tubes from her chest in the morning. I'm getting the impression that if possible they remove most of tubes all at once. If they remove the IV, catheter, epidural, and drainage tubes in the morning she'll be almost a free woman.
The physiotherapists in the TGH are concerned that Ramona isn't walking better. They are researching precisely what was cut and what was reattached in the hip surgery by Dr. Ferguson. To be continued. Hopefully physio has a better idea what is going on tomorrow.
Speaking of walking, Ramona walked out in the hallways three times today. I'm impressed. I don't know how to describe this and Ramona may look at me funny later when she reads this but I continue to be amazed at how flexible her upper body is after how damaged her rib cage must be. Modern pain relief techniques are amazing.
We continue to be concerned what the left lung (theoretically the good lung). If six or seven 'new' spots appeared on the right lung since the last CT, it's pretty hard to have faith that the left lung will show clear when they do a CT now in a few days. Much faith needed.
Concerning the scare last evening with Ramona's arm being immobile and potential blood clots and all that stuff. I'm incredible thankful that all seems to be well. Her left arm has as much mobility by now as it did before surgery. Conclusion is that the epidural probably wasn't placed perfectly and they slightly overdosed the amount of morphine through there.
So.....having said all this....Ramona will hopefully be out of the hospital by Friday and likely fly home a few days later. There are plenty of reasons they may want us there longer, but that was the nurses prediction today.
-Earl
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow thats alot to say at once
Ramona you look good
I prayd for you guys so much today
and i was trying to stay awake hoping youd post some new info and you finally did now i can go to bed i'm glad to hear there is no bad news
God takes care of His people He also answers all our prayers He answers my prayers everyday
Today your news was an answer to prayer
i love you guys and take care

Anonymous said...

Earl & Ramona,
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

God did not promise smooth sailing, but He did promise a safe landing.

Thank you for keeping us up to date. It's nice to have the details for which we can pray.

love & prayers,
Earl & Celia

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
same as the first person said, I was sure hoping to read how things had gone today before I hit the hay. Great to hear the good news and I'll keep praying.
love Christy

Erin said...

I've been quiet over the past month or so, but you two have definitely been in my thoughts, and this past week the gang here in Halifax has been praying and will continue to lift you two and the medical team in Toronto up. I wish that you would never come to see the inside of a Toronto hospital after this surgery, or any hospital for that matter, but I'm praying regardless that God's will is done. Ramona, you look beautiful, even in the midst of this struggle. Keep relying on His strength through all of this, you are both still a vast encouragement to myself and many others, and though the thought of new tumors is probably chilling, God still has not left you. My heart and prayers are with you!

Hugging you both from the East Coast,

Erin

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Miss you much and wish I could be with you there now. Ramona, you're looking so good. Glad to hear you're walking and that the doctors are checking into things from the other surgury as well. Many thoughts and prayers are still going up from here. Hope to see you both soon.

Joanna

. said...

i'm so glad that ramona's pain isn't worse (or at least consistantly) and that the physios are trying to figure out 'leg stuff'...

i can hardly remember what else to comment about b/c you wrote so much, earl (which is nto a bad thing!) so i'll leave you with a little reason to chuckle...

so i was at st. b. yesterday and of course i was flooded with many memories of visiting you there. i found myself wishing that was the hospital you were in right now so i could run upstairs and visit you...

the whole time i kept thinking about that day that the 3 of us 'escaped' to go to the forks...

ramona, do you remember the lady w/ the teal dress? we saw her while we waited for earl to get the car. for 2.5 hours yesterday i kept remembering her, chuckling to myself and wishing you were there to share the memory!

now we do!

Anonymous said...

Keep looking up guys! You're in my thoughts and prayers. Sendin' love your way... Crystelle

Anonymous said...

Once again I'm not sure what to write ...I'll definitely be praying that everything shows clear in the lung CTs. Words are not adequate to express what I wish for you guys and how you bless me and everyone around you. ~Roshonna