Monday, March 05, 2007

I realize we haven't posted anything for the last few days. My parents were out here and we were hanging out with them and going to Missionfest out here and stuff like that instead of writing, but we still often check it. Caring people are always encouraging. I was looking for recent pictures of us and this is what I found on our computer. This is Ramona and I having twin day. We figured this is the most we would ever look alike with our identical haircuts and everything so we were fooling around with our new web cam for a while trying to capture the moment. We were both wearing black pants to match our old BCBC shirts but unfortunately we didn't think to back away from the camera. Oh and as I'm seeing this we were trying to get a picture of how our tongues are different. Mony's is pointy, mine is fat...I kept paging through the pictures and I was taken back to different times in the last year...the range of emotions is huge...I saw pictures from the first few weeks after diagnosis...those were incredibly scary times and yet filled with all sorts of prayer times and talk of purpose and healing and how God would be doing all sorts of amazing things...the picture of the hockey tournament is an incredible show of support...and I also realize how easy it is to forget some of the good things and horrible ones (like chemo)...as I went further into the archives I found the last picture. That is a picture of us on our honeymoon. That feels like a lifetime ago. We spent so much time walking around the slums of Hait, visiting the orphanage Mony had previously
volunteered at, playing soccer with kids. And we were dreaming...alot, talking about where we would go and what we would do. I'm not gonna lie to you, we never mentioned Toronto other than maybe it would be a layover to somewhere else.....................I'm sitting here not sure where to go with this thought and I'm tempted to erase this whole thing...but I've been challenged by Mony in the last little while. There are many times in the last many months where things have frustrated us incredibly, and things have been especially tough on Mony for varieties of obvious reasons and she'll be at the point of tears, and it's at that point where I decide that we should pray together to make everything better...it doesn't work that way...i have treated prayer as a band-aid...I'm not going to preach a sermon...only, I've been confronted on the fact that I often pray out of tradition or feeling that if we pray then Mony will be happy or pretend she's happy and then we can forget.......as I'm thinking about this you can't see all the minutes between each sentence...I'm only beginning to understand those verses in the book of James about trials perfecting our faith...in enduring trials anything that isn't....real....is useless and becomes much more harmful to relationships.


p.s. one little story I forgot about. How God Provides. Many of the attenders of the Morweena EMC church will remember a little story from my second year of university. While I was brushing my teeth one morning my tooth brush fell into the toilet...not a big deal...it happens to every one I'm sure...but...I still needed a new toothbrush...sure enough the next day I got a care package from the Friendship Circle group in our church...and wouldn't you know...and new toothbrush...I was happy....the significance of this story had been lost until today...yesterday...while putting on my deodorant it must have caught on my bushy armpit hair and the whole big inside white part of my deodorant fell into the toilet...not a big deal, I'm sure that happens to everyone....but when I got home from breakfast with my dad there was a care package on the table with a new can of Axe...thanks Lyn and Vi...bet you didn't know just how timely of a provision that would be.




-Earl


Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ramona & Earl,
I want you to know that by sharing your lives through this blog - your faith, your love, your trials and suffering, your hopes, your fears, your courage - I have learned so much about what a life knowing the Lord is all about. I keep my family updated on your lives, and even though you don't know, we feel like we're going through this all with you. Your disappointments hurt like our own. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you for sharing this journey with not only those you love and are close to but those of us who have come to know you better through all of this. You have forever influenced the way I live and I long for your healing so that all that you're going through now will be only a speck in time of memory as you go on to fulfill your dreams. Always in my prayers, your friend, Kristie K.

Jobina said...

Thanks for the pics, the honesty, the story. I've just got to say...what is with you and dropping things in the toilet?! I laughed so hard!
What you say about band-aid prayer is so true for me too. I struggle with making prayer a conversation, you know, just sharing with God. Listening to Him and telling Him things I'm thinking and feeling. I often resort to a thank you list or a wish list. Hmmm, more learning to be had there!
God, help Earl and Ramona through another day. Show them something beautiful today please. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
Thanks for writing blogs even if you don't feel like it. It definitely gives us all a better connection with you and ideas on what kind of things we should be praying for. Praying that God will keep holding you near and that you will feel his huge arms of comfort around you.

Brigitte said...

Dear Ramona and Earl
I remember so well the two of you in HaIti on the Sunday just two days after I met lilou Midlove Ramona little Angel, My daughter,
Today is Lilou's Birthday the third one, she spent her first one with Ramona and I have nice picture of you
if you want to see lilou today, here is a link for a little film of her birthay party
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-3204817644092058377
enjoy you dit such a wonderful job with her !!
all my love and thoughs
brigitte

Anonymous said...

Ramona and Earl
I have been following your blog from beginning. I have an idea of your trials and tribulations. My husband and I have travelled down the same cancer road. I know what you mean by the prayer. It is often a source of comfort, of courage and of strength, but it doesn't 'fix' anything. There is often alot of raw emotion in what you are going thru. All I can tell you is that there is no shortcut or detour, you just have to go through it. My prayers are ith you everyday. god bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. Thanks for your honesty. Thanks for letting us see into your hearts. I can't help but get this incredible feeling of how your vulnerability honors God.

Lots of love coming your way,
Crytelle

. said...

hey earl and ramona!
nice post, earl... i liked the toliet stories. A: they're funny B: what an example of how God cares about the little details of life (ok, maybe BO is bordering on "big detail", but you know what i mean...)

also, i love the pictures! thanks for sharing them... and for sharing your lives... and lastly, thanks for sharing your thoughts on 'band-aid' prayers.

i know i pray many of those and sadly, i think i do that a LOT when i'm praying for you two. when i haven't heard how you're doing for a while i usually kind of slowly pray less and less until i hear a new update! (posting on blog=dayna will pray more)

i feel so challenged and encouraged to pray all day, eveyrday. to talk to God and to listen to Him as i live my every-day life, not just at certain times of day and not just when i'm super concerned about soemone/something... thanks for the reminder!

anyway, i'll stop before this is a novel!
always,
dayna

(5 more sleeps)

Chad said...

haha thanks for the pics and the toilet storys, its amazing how god provides, im pretty sure ive dropped a thing or two into a toilet.
want to let you know that im praying for you in winnipeg
hope that no ice has fallen on you haha, read a article in the paper today about ice falling off the cn tower

Chantel said...

Hi again!
I love that you posted some pics of the two of you...all I can say is wow...such a beautiful couple, and ramona, you are gorgeous. It makes me happy that I can now put faces to you, whom I'm praying for. Thank you for sharing. Stay strong, you're in my thoughts and prayers. I look forward to the next blog. God bless.
-Chantel

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
I hope you feel the love and support from afar. Thank you for being so honest and sharing your hearts. You ARE an inspiration - even when it does not feel like it. I have a little game here for my fellow Africa lovers. Enjoy!http://mytruepeeps.com/africa.html

Anonymous said...

ramona and earl....
hi i hope u guys are doing good cuz .yea i hope u r doing good.well coolness we all miss u and i really hope u both r doing really good. well i always read ur thingy soo i ano if u r cool or uncool.....lol well yea
god bless.