Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Today was one of those days that I long never to repeat. We found out that the tumors are back in my lungs. I had an appointment with Dr. Ferguson, my surgeon, this morning and asked him a bunch of questions. He looked over the CT that I had taken on the 15th of February. He confirmed what we already suspected-there is a tumor on my right lung and a few smaller ones. In reality this doesn't really change anything medically. I will still continue with my radiation. I have 3 weeks left. After that they will do MRIs to see how my hip and armpit tumor have responded to the radiation. I'll go home for approx. 6 weeks and then come back for my armpit and hip surgery. Dr. Ferguson also confirmed that these surgeries are both quite intense and will probably require some bone being removed. Only after these surgeries are done can we even consider doing anything with my lungs. It's pointless to deal with the 'little tumors' when the 'big tumors' are causing the lung tumors. I really have no idea what will keep going on in my lungs-there is still hope that surgery could be done there as well.
It's frustrating when I realize that time is so important. If I had come to Toronto sooner and had my surgery sooner, maybe I wouldn't have any tumors in my lungs. It's hard to be positive when I have chest pain and have shortness of breath and know that there is something inside of me killing me and there is absolutely nothing I can do about that except pray and try to cling to hope.
Last night I spent a lot of time on a sarcoma site on the internet. There were a lot of stories from others who also have sarcoma. It was interesting how many of them were Christians. It was also terrifying as I read story after story of people with different kinds of sarcomas or even the same kind I have, synovial sarcoma ,who were fighting desperately. Many of them had part of them amputated and others had their sarcoma returning. There were very few who had success stories. I realized once again the seriousness of my disease.
The last few days I've spent a lot of time dwelling on what it really means to live. I think about what my life is all about and if I've accomplished the purpose for why I was created. I think about how to really live when I am constantly faced with death. I realize that having death staring me in the face forces me to think thoughts that many don't until they're older. Have I done with my life what God intended? What am I doing now that is bringing glory to God? How many people have I influenced for Christ?
I don't want to have to think these thoughts. There are thousands of dreams that I still have. Thousands of things I want to pursue and tell people. And yet how can I do that realizing that I might not have years left? And yet no one has that guarantee. Really my life is no different than anyone else's. No one knows if they'll live tomorrow or get to do all the things that they desire. I guess my challenge through this all is to live life to the fullest. Pursue the things that are important now, before you can't.

My heart is so full tonight. I'm clinging to the hope that God is the Healer, God is a God of Miracles. My life is in His hands. I long to be healed and have my life make a difference. Maybe this is my plea to everyone out there who can dream, who are healthy, to all the people that I am a little jealous of-make your life count.

I apologize if this blog comes out preachy. With tears streaming down my face I've written down my heart.

Oh and to all of you who are praying for the pain in my arm to not be as bad while I'm having radiation-I'd just like to let you know that it is a lot better than it was in the beginning. My arm is almost used to it.
Thank you
Ramona

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ramona,
With tears in my eyes, I say thanks for being open and honest. . ; you are a godly woman who I look up to.
Keep hanging onto the hope! I'm sure this "cancer journey" seems long. . Recently I've listened to a few of Steve Bell's songs and a few of them that touched me were "Psalm songs". They speak of an urgent cry to God and feeling desperate for Him to hear. He never tires of our desperate cries.
Ramona and Earl,
May peace be multiplied to you.
With our love,
Robert and Gloria.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your heart Ramona. Our thots and prayers are with you. God has and continues to use you to touch more lives that you will ever know! In the midst of one of life's hardest assignments, God is shining through you. I pray that His peace will flood your heart, soul, and mind and that His presence will be incredibly real.

Vi

Anonymous said...

Ramona, Im at a loss for words as to what to say to you. Im praying hard. And also know that the way you are going through this trial brings glory to God. You pondered what you were doing to bring Him glory and how many you had influenced to Christ. The answer is LOTS! And you can do lots more yet, just keep looking up and cling to hope. Jesus is Hope!
Tiphanie

Anonymous said...

Oh Ramona, my heart is breaking for you - knowing how intense your struggle is. You have been constantly in my thoughts and prayers the last couple of days and esp. today - and I know the Holy Spirit was causing me to think of you - as I'm sure He was for so many other people. He is near to you in this and cares so much about your every thought and feeling. It must be a struggle not to panic when this "thing" is inside of you and you have to wait. Keep holding on to hope - you beat back the tumours in your lungs before - you can do it again! It's good to know they're still going ahead with surgery and going for the root of the problem. Oh Ramona - you have been an incredible encouragement to me and so many people through your life already. You may question it - but it's true - your walk with Jesus has been a light to those around you and it continues to be even as you walk through this valley.
I love you,
Mandy

. said...

i'm telling myself to cry quietly b/c grandma is sleeping a few metres away... this is kind of what i expected to hear but what i hoped wasn't the case! oh mony, wish i was there w/ you already! march 11th won't come soon enough!

i think of what you found out today and then of the encouraging words you emailed me and i am amazed! you may be struggling to see God in the midst of all of this (so am i!) but i sure see Him in YOU! you haven't given up hope even though it'd be understandable if you did... and on top of that, you're giving me hope and encouragement and increased passion to follow my dreams! that blows me away!

no matter how weak or battered or fragile you feel like you, your hope, your health, and/or your faith have become... you're strengthening those around you... that's probably the most beautiful thing i've ever seen in my life...

you give me such hope... and such determination to live a life that makes a difference, to live a life that reflects and honors God...

i love you,
dayna

Anonymous said...

Ramona

you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. The courage and strength that you have shown through this journey with Cancer has never ceased to amaze us. My heart breaks with you and I just want to encourage you to keep looking to God and crying out to Him.
May God's peace flow through you and Earl and may you bask in God's undying love.
Mel ( Evan, Emmanuel and Micah)

Anonymous said...

Ramona, my heart hurts with you as I have been following your blog entries. I wanted to encourage you in your pain and feelings of hopelessness though, because sometimes when you are the one immersed in the middle of something so deep, it's hard to see the things God's doing because of the valley you are in. Ramona, both you and Earl are such an incredible witness of who Christ is and what a true follower of Christ looks like. Despite any negative feelings Im sure you both have at times, you're obedience to God and incredible faith and courage to hold onto God's hand and let him lead you through this dark place is so encouraging, for myself, as well as hundreds of other people who are praying so diligently for the both of you.
I desperately wanted to share part of Gods word as encouragement to you, and as I was flipping through the NT, I came across the story of when Jesus heals the blind man in John 9:1-3;
"As he went along, he saw man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life."
I know cancer doesn't make sense, but God knew that, for whatever reason, he could USE both you and Earl in this situation as a testimony for His sake. You will be rewarded greatly for this Ramona. Keep strong.
Much love and many prayers,

Raelynn

Erin said...

My thoughts echo those of Raelynn... Ramona and Earl, your journey has been inspirational, in that I've seen God move in so many wonderful and powerful ways, reading your blog and watching those here with me in Toronto rally around you in the name of God. Keep faith, none of this is in vain. Many lives have been touched by your troubles, and ours IS a God of healing...

Ramona, Earl, I've never met you, and yet your faith has had a profound impact on my life. I say this not to put pressure on you, but to help you hold fast. I'll be praying for peace and rest, but also endurance and healing.

Much love and many blessings,

Erin

Erin said...

Also, in regards to the 'ifs' about coming to Toronto sooner, etc... God's timing is perfect, and God has proven to ME time and again that it doesn't matter if I'm late, He's always right on time. Keep faith, keep following the one you can trust.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramona,

I realize that I haven't talked or communicated in any way with you since the hockey tournament; I apollogize. Just to refresh your memory, I was the leukemia survivor that spoke with you in the caffeteria.

I want you to know that I still pray for you every day and that your an inspiration to me and you always will be. And even though you're younger than me (and a lot better looking than me; no offense Earl), I totally look up to you. You seem to be handling this a lot better than I did, and I mean a lot better! I was on bad terms with God during my ordeal and wasn't much of a Christian for that matter. My biggest regret was not allowing Him to help me at the time, and basically shutting Him out of my life altogether. This made it that much harder. I honestly wish I could have been half the person you are right now and strive to be the kind of person you are today. I sincerely mean that.

I don't know if God is testing you or not, but do not allow the the disease to take away your faith as it did mine. Take care, keep fighting and be stubborn no matter what!

Still praying,

Kenny Krahn

Amber said...

Ramona...thanks for sharing your heart. You are a beautiful person and your love for your Lord & savior is very evident through this. Keep clinging to Him, and know that there are many people lifting you up to Him in prayer.

Anonymous said...

ramona
you r still cool and awesome i am praying 4 u every day and we always (at school)are woundering if u are alrite or how u r doing and i nearly cry to think how seriuos this is and my mom always asks or reads with me on how u r doingand if u r still okay. we all miss having you here at school and all that and how cool u are. well ill always pray for you and earl
.......from......maggie......hi

Anonymous said...

dear Ramona,
My English is not good enought to express my feelings,
I'm impressed by you and your strengh,
Just to let you know that your little angel Lilou Midlove and I pray for you
all ouu love
God bless you
brigitte and lilou midlove Paris
lilou send you a kiss with her hand

Anonymous said...

Hi Ramona,

This is Alma, Joanna's friend, remember I came over?? I've heard about what's going on from Joanna and also the blog here. Just wanted to greet you with a bunch of passages that I absolutely love, psalm 32, 34, 139, and my fav. chapter, Hosea 11. I wanna say that God loves you and He has put so many ppl in your life that love you also, and that as hard as it is, Romans 8:18 is so relevant to all us humans. I'll continue to pray for you, and all of us at Campus for Christ who know about you, will be keeping you in prayer every day on Monday to Fridays at exactly 11:30-12:00 noon, during our prayer meetings.

God bless. Love in Christ, Alma

P.S. If anyone is writing from elsewhere (i.e. Maggie), write in your language, it's not very hard for it to be translated, and we can help with that also. So write in French Maggie, and others in your languages.

Chantel said...

Hi there,

My name is Chantel, I am a friend of Chad's. I've read your blog and I just wanted to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you in this extrememly trying time. I know you've been going through all this for a while now, but I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you and your recovering and healing. God is the God of Miricles and Healing and I pray that your prayers are answered. "The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace." (Psalm 29:11) May strength, peace, and healing come to you. God bless.
-Chantel