Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Radiation begins

For those of you who fear that we may have fallen off the face of the earth....the answer is no, we are quite safely in Toronto. We did not have internet connection for a few days and so that is why it has taken awhile to blog.
We flew in to Toronto Sunday morning and were picked up at the airport by Sam & Bonnie Thomas who are working for Africa Inland Mission, the same building that our apartment is on top of.
Monday morning Earl's brother and sister flew in so the last few days have been filled with lots of touristy things. We 'climbed' the CN tower, went to the Hockey Hall of Fame, Earl & Jay went to a Leafs game, etc.
I don't know how to describe radiation. On Monday I had a trial setup just to make sure that everything was measured correctly etc. I thought that this would take maybe 15-30 minutes. I was in there for about an hour and a half. There was a bit of confusion and minor problems that I don't really understand cause I don't understand their lingo. Anyway everything worked out okay in the end. Yesterday the real radiation began. It took about 50 minutes. I am getting radiation in two spots so that's why it takes so long. Radiation in and of itself is not painful. I can't feel anything different. The only way I know that it's happening is cause everyone goes out of the room and this big arm circles my body stopping at certain angles makinga buzzing sound. However, I have to put my arm above my head in a very awkward position while doing radiation. This might not sound too bad but I have to hold it there for 25ish minutes. It ends up falling asleep and still I'm not allowed to move it. I have to admit this hurts incredibly much. When I finally am allowed to move it, it is pretty floppy. That is the hardest part of radiation.
Right now I am waiting for Earl to get back from the airport as he brought Jay & Lisa there. Radiation begins again at 3:45. Tomorrow I'm going for a CT scan as well. We're hoping that it will clarify that the lungs are clear.
Thanks for your prayers
Ramona

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys...thanks for the update. May you know HIS hope in each moment.

With love on V-Day!

. said...

thanks for posting, mona... i'm always so glad to find out how things are going for you. wish your radiation was in wpg. b/c toronto is really just too far away- but that's just the way are... i sure wish you didn't have to have your arm in such a painful and awkward position!

i'm praying for you (bout everything we talked about), and missing you and loving you,
always, dayna

hope you and earl enjoy valentine's day!

Anonymous said...

hey my girl,
i just wanted to tell you that i am thinking about you and I miss you!! Take care for now....remember you are my hero...to make it more ladylike....heroness...lol...hehe!!
Just me!!

Erin said...

Earl and Ramona,

Let me first say that the ways which God has challenged you to step up in faith, His answers to prayer, and the ways He has been working, have been incredibly encouraging.

I've read your blog twice over now, and I have to reassure you that God IS and will continue to be glorified through all of this. Perhaps this sounds strange coming from a total stranger, but I sense a strong purpose behind all that you have been brought to face. Your struggles are not in vain!

As it so happens, Joanna and I have struck up a friendship in the past few weeks. Hopefully the four of us can meet soon, if Ramona is well enough. You may feel far from Winnipeg, but you are certainly among brothers and sisters here in Toronto!!

Joanna mentioned that you are facing some difficulty with the cold weather and the TTC on your way to treatment, and I want you to know that your family here wants to help. Joanna knows more about this... I hope we can make contact soon!

You are not alone, many at The Meeting House are praying for you! Let HIS love be the love you cherish and celebrate today... God bless!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you both and wishing you well. Ps.121:1-4

Mark said...

Hi Guys . . . sorry I haven't written anything in awhile. For some reason I was very moved by the story of your pain (Ramona) in keeping your arm is strange positions for long periods of time during radiation. When I close my eyes I can see and almost feel what it would be like. Brutal! May God give you strenth in those moments to persevere through it. Thanks again for the inspiration, you two are awesome. Know that you two are in my prayers and that even though we don't always tell you, you are both very special to us. Adieu!

-Mark

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.
- Mother Teresa