Monday, January 05, 2009

So I thought it was time to give another update on our lives. This is a picture of Earl & I Christmas Day at my parents. I really wanted to take a picture of us, but I didn't want to be sitting a wheelchair for it, so here I am balanced on one leg, getting Earl to hold me up for the picture.
Radiation has begun-today was my 8th day. I'd say it's going pretty well. My leg is still super swollen and some of the skin is peeling, so I try to lather it with lotion a lot. Other than that, I'm not sure that I have any side effects. I'm feeling a little more tired, I think, which is the most common side effect.

Last night, Earl & I went to Beyond again. (Beyond is an incredible church service held every Sunday night at Calvary Temple at 7) We absolutely love Beyond. What an incredible place to come and worship God and be super challenged to keep going to the next level. Earl & I try to attend every Sunday and it has been a place of incredible growth for us. We really feel that God is doing some pretty crazy things in our lives right now. Medically things are hopeless, but we feel incredible hope. I know I will one day be walking again and enjoying good health-it's just a matter of time. God is using this experience to prepare us for the future. The plans God has, not only for us, but for all people, are way greater than we can comprehend or imagine. It's exciting to know that He is using this experience of cancer to prepare me for my dreams of helping children/orphanages. So what now, while we wait? How can I pursue my dreams/ use my gifts, while in a wheelchair? I'm not sure, but it's something I think about a lot. Life is not about me, life is about others. So how can I live to serve others and thereby serve Jesus? Today Earl called Siloam Mission to find out if they had any volunteer opportunities that Earl & I could do together. Just because I sit in a wheelchair, does not mean I can't do anything. We'll see where that goes. I'd love to volunteer somewhere-do something productive.

And so those are some of my thoughts. Right now Earl is skating with his brother and we've got some friends bringing pizza over for supper. Thanks again to those of you who come over and visit, bring us food, pray, encourage, whatever-we appreciate our friends a lot!

Oh yeah, a little exciting side note-as of today my eyelashes are officially coming back. It's incredible how fast they grow. Yesterday morning I could barely see them and today they're almost halfway there. But as my eyelashes come, my eyebrows go. Very interesting how the body works....

-Ramona
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the picture Ramona! You guys look so happy! I'm glad I could pray with you yesterday! Our small group, among others continues to stand with you and pray on your behalf! Have a blessed week!

Jill =)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering where you were at, thanks for the update.
Thinking about you lots.
love laura (and chuck)

Sheila said...

You are an Inspiration!
I love what you've written, it reminds me of what you said at camp in our staff hotel cabin after you got diagnosed about how you knew (or God let you know) you weren't gonna die from this.. I believe its true, so reading what you have written about one day walking and doing 'normal' life again is awesome.. very refreshing to hear..
still praying :)
Sheila

Anonymous said...

im still praying for you, and yeah........
............
more dots, but yeah.
miss you.

AJP said...

Great to get an update! It's so encouraging to hear your hope and your faith in God - keep vocalizing that! I'm sure there are days when your feelings do not lead you to that place of hope - but as we believe and claim truth in our lives the feelings can follow (and even if they don't the truth doesn't change!)
Praying that the reality of Christ IN YOU will be a constant source of hope and joy for you! You guys are both an encouragement and an inspiration to me to be bold in my faith.
Love you,
Mandy

Sophia said...

Ramona and Earl you are such a blessing. I truly believe also that nothing happens for no good reason. Its just preperation for the future. B/c i know this i should be doing something about it. I have a friend that goes to the morning Calvary Temple service. Maybe she could check out the evening one with me some time.
God bless you. Your continually in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Great to read your optimistic post!! You are an inspiration to so many people!! The enemy's ploy is to get us to doubt God's love and faithfulness, but we know so much better!! God is sufficient!!