Wednesday, April 23, 2008

One year since surgery

Yes Becki & I are home! We've been home since the 5th. Nothing very new or exciting has happened. My treatments in Mexico went well and now I will just have a CT scan every 3 months to monitor my tumors. Hopefully they will keep shrinking from the Laetrile injections I get at home three days a week, the over 50 pills (nutraceuticals) I take every day and my healthy diet. I had an appointment with Dr. Wong recently and he commented on how he never expected that 2 years after I was diagnosed that I would be sitting in his office chatting. He says that he doesn't know how to treat me because my situation is not typical. I told him I was going to be his first sarcoma survivor. I really get the feeling that he knows that there is something different about me and that he is starting to recognize that. My prayer from the beginning always was that God would be glorified through this.
On a different note...
One year ago today I said good-bye to my left hip. It's one year that I had my hip and armpit surgery. In some ways it feels way longer and in others it seems like it just happened. It's exciting that a year later I'm still around and healthy and yet it's also sobering realizing that my hip and arm will probably not improve much more. Whatever came back in a year is probably all that will. My walking endurance is definitely getting better. Earl & I try to go for a walk almost every night and I can already tell a difference.
My brother graduates from his paramedics training tomorrow and it's my other brother's 19th birthday tomorrow so my family is going to the city for supper to celebrate. I'm also 'celebrating' my surgery.
That's all for now
Ramona

11 comments:

Elayne said...

Congratulations Ramona! That blog brings tears to my eyes! Our God is a God of miracles. We talked in our Bible Study this morning about how God does things so different from what we would expect. Someone said "It always seems to be the 'wrong' way!" Of course she meant that His ways are not our ways and answers to prayers are often very different from what we would like or expect. Miracles still happen all the time. We often do not recognize the works of God as miracles though.
I have prayed for you and Earl much and follow your progress via your blog and have often asked my friends to pray for you as well. May God continue to work out His will and His way in your lives and may He use all these strange alternative procedures and medicine to bring about a complete healing.
God bless you a keep you!
Elayne Goertzen (Jobina's Mom)
PS..and may Dr. Wong's eyes be opened to see WHO it is in you that makes you so special and different!!

Michele said...

I'm going to echo the words of my Mom (Elayne). That blog brought tears to my eyes as well! God has already done a miracle in you! He kept you for TWO YEARS!!! Everyday that you are alive is a gift - as it is for all of us. We don't know when we will meet our Father, but with you somehow it's different. We could have lost you a while ago now, but God has done a work in you and so you are still here! Praise the Lord!

I check your blog every day to see how you're doing. I haven't written in a while, but I wanted to let you know that I'm still here. I am praying for you and your family, the doctors and nurses you come into contact with, and for your healing. My prayer echoes yours. Lord be glorified in all of this pain and sickness. Let everyone who comes into contact with this family see Jesus shining through them. May those who watch know that You are the Master of all things, may they get on their knees and proclaim that YOU are the Lord!

Ramona, the energy you put into getting well and your faith in the Lord has been inspiring to me. Keep on going girl! Know that the Goertzen/Westman/Treleaven family is behind you 100%!! We are praying for you!!!

Michele Treleaven (Jobina's sister)

Bethany Pearce said...

Hi there,
My name is Bethany Pearce. I live on Vancouver Island. I too am a cancer patient with Synovial Sarcoma. I had treatment last year, but there's a high possibility that the cancer has come back (on my way to the cancer agency on monday). I too am a CHristian. I wrote about my treament last year on my blog. I'll be writing again if indeed this new lump is cancer again. I'd love to get in contact with you guys. We're a young family with a 2 year old daughter.

. said...

ramona, what beauty! what wonder! it is amazing to have you put the past 2 years into perspective and to see what God has done and is doing. i love it how dr. wong (and other medical professinoals i am sure) is so amazed. i love it how GOd is working in and through you... and i love you!
dayna

Jobina said...

That's a lot to celebrate! I'm so glad to hear from you again, I've been wondering how you are and what is going on in your lives. I praise God for your health so far, for the fact that you can be at home with your husband every day, for your faith and optimism and for your beautiful witness! God bless you!

Brigitte said...

yess ! so good to have some news from you I was really wondering what's going on ! so happy that you feel good and have these family projects : birthday etc for sure you are special ;-) cant't tell you more in English but you know what I mean all our love Lilou and brigitte

Dianna said...

You are a miracle.. Beautiful woman!!

Pamela said...

i love hearing you are praising God and giving Him the glory! You are an awesome woman of God Ramona! I love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Ramona and Earl I am rejoicing with you! Love you lots!

Roshonna

Anonymous said...

I still check your blog periodically & am thrilled at your continued healing. I am blessed that you praise God instead of whining about what you have lost. If more Christians had your attitude there would be more Christians! cheers, Connie Harms (Vancouver)

A Journey with Cancer said...

Hi There Ramona and Earl

It is so great to hear how well you are doing....Praise Jesus that you are doing so incredibly well. The journey is long but with the Lords purpose in mind we can fix our eyes on Him and time does seem to move on.
Earl is back in Concordia hospital with severe pain in his leg and we will meet with Dr. Wong this week to get the results of his last CT. Earl would love to hear from you, and has asked me to bring in you number, so you can expect a phone call soon!
Love you both,
Debbie and Earl