Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Yes, I am now another year older. Twenty-three it is. Thanks to all of you who wished me a Happy Birthday. I can truly say I had a good birthday and I'm super thankful about that.
I know Earl & I have not been faithfully updating the blog. In a way I guess you could say that's a good sign. Nothing too tramatic has happened. I came home from my 5th round of chemo a week ago, Monday. Saturday night I got a fever and consequently spent all of Sunday in emerg. I was devastated as my family had planned to have a family birthday lunch with me that day. However, my family came out the city and celebrated with me in emerg instead. Because my white blood counts were so low I was in isolation, so I had my own room. Earl worked his magic and the nurses let my whole family in the room (but they all had to wear awesome yellow gowns). We had balloons hanging from the IV pole and streamers held up with medical tape. Because we didn't want to alert the fire department we didn't light my candles but instead I just did a fake blow. Even though I hated that I couldn't be at home, it was really special to be able to make the best out of the situation.
Monday morning at 7:30, Dr. Wong entered my room with some hopeful news. He had been at a meeting in Prague over the weekend and had talked to a sarcoma expert. He talked to a surgeon from Toronto who has agreed to do my surgeries for me IF the CT scan shows that my tumors have shrunk some more. I asked if we would continue with more chemo if the tumors showed that they'd shrunk and Dr. Wong said, "No". I'm excited and yet I know that Dr. Wong seems to change his mind all the time and so I'm holding on to a glimmer of hope. The next 2 1/2 weeks need to be filled with lots of prayer that the tumors have shrunk significantly again. And I remind myself that why not pray radically that the scans show that the tumors have disappeared and that surgery isn't even necessary. I can see my tumors every day and so sometimes I think that it's not possible that the CT could show that they're gone, but I know that God could make them disappear any second. Whatever His plan is, I pray that it will be done.
So that's an update again. I hope to head off to the school where Earl's dad is principal and see if I can help him out with some stuff. I'm hoping to do some of that in the next few weeks.
Thanks again for your prayers
Ramona

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

ramona & earl,
just want to let you know that we're praying for you guys every day. we pray that God will completely remove your tumors, but we also know that whatever he does,in whaterver timing, it will be for his glory. your lives have been such a raw example to so many people of what it means to praise God in everything. none of us understand why God hasn't already healed you ramona, but we can all rest in knowing that God is always in control. and his plans for your life are always good, and he will give you a hope and a future.
have a wonderful, restful day and always know that there are so many of us praying for you both.
~jen & kelvin

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ramona!!!! I'm glad to hear that you got to celebrate - even if it was in the hospital!

So glad to hear that there is a surgeon who is willing to do your surgery for you. We are also praying that your tumors have shrunk or completely disappeared. Regardless of how your CT scan turns out, God has His hand in all of this. He will control the decisions of the doctors and the outcome of your disease. Perhaps that's why Dr. Wong keeps changing his mind? Dr. Wong makes a decision and God changes it because that's not what He wants!

Anyway, have a great two and a half weeks off. Get busy helping around that school and let us know how your scan comes out!

Love and Prayers to you both...

Michele (Jobina's sister)

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl & Ramona
Wow, i'm excited to hear that you're out of the hospital and that your real birthday day was good! I know that celebrating a birthday in the hospital wasn't ideal, but I was glad that it worked out to be able to spend the day with you on Sunday anyway. I thought about you alot yesterday, and especially since i was dressed as a hockey player for costume day and wore my Friends of Ramona jersey. I had many kids and other staff at school wondering what my jersey said, which led to some pretty great conversations. Ramona, I'm definately still praying that God'll use His healing power in making those tumors disappear so that surgery isn't necessary. I'm also thinking that it's pretty phenomenal how God has blessed some doctor's with the ability to do some pretty crazy surgeries. I hope that the next few weeks is refreshing for you both physically and spiritually.
Love you guys
Karlene

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramona,
I was thinking and praying for you all day yesterday... I'm so glad that you had a good birthday and that you were given even a glimmer of hope to rest on. (and i must say, having my family dressed all in yellow just because of my birthday would definitely be a hightlight... :) )
Know that you're always on my heart.
Raelynn

Anonymous said...

Ramona,

Happy Birthday!! Wish I could have been there, but I guess even if I was there I couldn't have been there. :) Glad to hear you're back home again.

Praying for healing and for shrinkage, but know that if you end up in Toronto, you'll have someone waiting for you.

Miss you,
Joanna

Anonymous said...

praying that you will find peace and rest in the next 2 1/2 weeks So that you will be rested and ready to give whatever the doctor has planned 100%. Jesus will be holding you just as close these weeks as He has during the tougher ones lean on Him Trust Him HE knows whats best and He will heal you in His time. Have fun helping at the school and doing (normal) things again

Anonymous said...

your birthday party sounds fun I wish I could have been there. But I did think and pray for you alot yesterday. Think about it as many people as said happy birthday and were praying for you to have a good time. It was an awesome prayer party thru out canada usa and mexico and the other places you know people. really u may have just had your biggest birthday party ever. you two are really blessed

Anonymous said...

hi there
your update sounds hopeful happy biday by the way ramona.sounds like you had a grgeat b'day tobad you had to spend it in the hospital somehow God made it all possible for you and earl to have something to celebrate.
it sounds like you have energy and things in life to look fwd to. and have hope for the future or the next day. it is sounding better each day.
i praying for you i know God has a plan for each of us. and he won't give us things we can't handle and he said he would always be with us and help us find a way out. so hold on to that if it makes sence.praying both of you

Anonymous said...

hi there
your update sounds hopeful happy biday by the way ramona.sounds like you had a grgeat b'day tobad you had to spend it in the hospital somehow God made it all possible for you and earl to have something to celebrate.
it sounds like you have energy and things in life to look fwd to. and have hope for the future or the next day. it is sounding better each day.
i praying for you i know God has a plan for each of us. and he won't give us things we can't handle and he said he would always be with us and help us find a way out. so hold on to that if it makes sence.praying both of you

. said...

mony, nice to hear, in your own words, how you're doing... w/ the risk of sounding like a broken record (but a very nice sounding record, i might add) i'm so glad that you had a good birthday. i prayed that you would!

know that i'm continually praying

thanks for being my soul friend,
always,
dayna

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!

You are in our prayers!

Warren & Liane

Anonymous said...

"Happy Birthday to you, whoo! Happy Birthday to you, whoo! Happy birthday dear Ramona... Happy birthday to you!"
Everyone needs Happy Birthday sung camp style...at least I think so!
Praying lots,
Jobina

Anonymous said...

Hey Earl & Ramona,
Praying for more shrinking of the tumors ... but thopefully a total shrinkage. God Bless you both so much!
Viola

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Ramona. Glad to you hear that you're still hanging in there. Praying for you guys. Jenn

Anonymous said...

Ramona and Earl,
I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of you yesterday as we heard the sermon on "missions". I wondered if you again felt disappointed at how your dreams for this fall/winter were shattered. And it doesn't make sense.
My eyes filled with tears as I prayed for you to receive God's comfort, healing, and strength. Know that with Him these things are possible!
Love you,
Auntie Gloria.

Ray said...

Hi Ramona!
HAPPY BE-LATED BIRTHDAY! I"M GLAD YOU GOT TO CELEBRATE, EVEN IF YOU HAD TO BE COUPED UP IN THE HOSPITAL. THINKING OF YOU AND WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST!WE LOVE YOU AND HOPE TO SEE YOU ONE DAY SOON! TAKE CARE AND ENJOY YOUR TIME OFF!
Love, auntie Lori, Uncle Ray and the boys.