Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The flights are booked and we leave one week from tomorrow! Earl & I are heading to the Oasis of Hope in Tijuana, Mexico for 18 days. The Oasis of Hope is a Christian hospital that has more of a nutritional approach towards health. The emphasis is more on the person as a whole instead of just treating the disease. For those of you who want to know more of the scientific information on what the treatments are about, feel free to go on to their website. I don't fully understand all the scientific information but Earl & I feel peace and have felt led to the hospital. I am being reminded again and again from different doctors that my condition is incurable and that are just treating me with chemo to lengthen my life. Of course God can prove this wrong. I'm excited to see how God will use my time at Oasis of Hope but also understand that it might not remove my cancer. It feels like a big deal to put lots of money and energy into something that my doctor does not approve of or support. However, I want to keep fighting for my life and so that's what we're doing.
I finished my last round of chemo a week ago Sunday. I had a fever on the weekend, but again was able to fight it and stay at home. Today is the first day that I am feeling quite good since chemo. From now on, it should just keep getting better.
I think that sums up the big things right now.
Thanks so much again for your prayers and support. Many times my doctor and nurses are amazed at how well I'm doing and I know that it's due to the thousands of prayers. I was told last week that when I was first diagnosed, Dr. Wong would have given me 3-6 months to live had the chemo not worked. It's quite sobering to realize that I have already lived an entire year longer than I 'should' have. Thanks to God for all the little miracles that are resulting in large miracles!
Ramona

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you guys have made an awesome decision! I'll be praying lots for your time at Oasis. I checked out thier website and it looks great to me, definitly something I agree with! You guys are an inspiration!
Tiphanie Wiebe

. said...

i am so glad God gave you peace about it so you could move forward. i also love what you said about little miracles adding up to big ones. you are right and looking at 'the big picture' reminded me how far He has brought you! love you...

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,
God bless you and the team at Oasis of Hope in Tijuana.
You mention an incurable condition, and it occurs to me that we all have a terminal condition. It's called life. This means that life as we know it know will come to an end for all of us, but the end of life is both a universal condition and an absolutely unique experience, because each of us experiences our own death only once and, while the support of family and friends throughout all of life is invaluable, there are some challenges that remain uniquely our own.
However, the notion of life as a terminal condition also implies that life perdures. When we call cancer a terminal condition we refer to a condition that will be with us to the end. Life as a terminal condition would then mean that we live until the end, but what does it mean to live until the end? The end of what? The only way I can envision this is that our life is a stream that finds it ultimate end in God. This does not mean that our identity is subsumed into a form of Deity, but that we find ourselves -our true selves- only in God. When we find our true selves in God, then we are more ourselves than we can ever be outside of God. This is a hope for eternal life after our death here, but it is much more than only that. It is our hope for here and now as we learn step by step, day by day, and moment by moment, to see God reaching out to us in the ordinary, sometimes not so ordinary, and sometimes cataclysmically traumatic events of this life.
I know you guys have walked a difficult road over the last year and a bit. I know the road is not done yet, and we do not know exactly what unforeseen turns that road may take, but I have been blessed as I have watched you grow. I do know your road leads to God, and I continue to pray for a rich experience of God's loving, caring and abundant life-giving presence as you walk your road.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys
We are excited that it is working out for you to go to Oasis of Hope and pray that is truly what it is for you, down to the core. WE'll keep praying for miracles and want you to know that we love you and are soooo glad that God has brought you this far. We loved spending some time with you this christmas but left with maybe even more of an 'ache' because of the realities you face and the distance between us. But despite that we are happy with you that you can head out on this new adventure and we'll be thinking of you a lot and lifting you up to Jesus.
With love, Christy

Sab said...

I've heard of Oasis before! That sounds wonderful! I've heard of many people (not necessarily from Oasis) that have been cured from their cancer when the doctors thought there was no way. God can still perform miracles! I'll pray for you!

God Bless!

Dianna said...

With tears in my eyes I read this last post. I'm encouraged, strengthened in faith, yet sorrowful, at the same time joy in knowing that you're believers. Thank you sooo much for this blog. Keep on posting us you will never know or realize what impact your life has on others. May God be near you and bless you dearly!!

Mark said...

Wow, you've obviously blown Dr. Wong's estimate out of the water! Thank you God! May your time at Oasis of Hope be healing and fruitful. Praying for you everyday,
Mark
P.S. Sorry I missed you the last time you were in the city.

TheButterfly2 said...

Thank God for miracles! We continue to pray for you guys. I know there are more in your future!

I am pretty sure that the Oasis of Hope is where Ernest's mom went for treatments and we have heard nothing but amazing stories. We trust yours will be one of them!

Brigitte said...

it's always good to see your strengh and your faith ! make the best of Oasis an be sure that your are always un my prayers lots of love brigitte and lilou

Anonymous said...

Hey, God bless as you head off to Mexico tomorrow. I'll be praying for you both.
Karlene

Anonymous said...

Hi earl and ramona,
I haven't seen you in awhile but I met up with a friend of yours the other day(skating with friends at the Forks). I asked him about you guys and so here I am and I want to be praying for you, trusting God will bring awesome answers to prayers for the both of you.
Antoine Vermette

Anonymous said...

I've been popping in for the last year or so and am finally delurking to say that I'm praying for you. For God's perfect will to be done. For God to continue to be glorified. (As He already has been through your willingness to be transparent.) May you experience joy not just in spite of, but even because of your circumstances.
Lynette
(Earl, when I took your Mom to a doctor's appointment in Steinbach decades ago, she came out with such a smile on her face that I found out she was expecting you even before your Dad did.)